Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chocolate

Does the name Ingeborg's mean anything to you?  It didn't mean anything to me 3.5 years ago, but now it puts a cheesy childlike grin on my face.  It's that grin that reveals that my sweetheart has surprised me with thoughtfulness... and food!

When we were dating, my husband and I both volunteered for the youth groups at our churches.  Even though I usually got out of Wednesday night youth group around 9:15, he would drive 45 minutes to spend time with me after I was done.  One night, after he spent a long day working an hour and a half away, he picked me up at the church.  There was a beautiful burgundy box with the word  "Ingeborg's" printed on it in gold letters, and a neatly tied golden bow on top!  I could tell it was chocolates, and assumed it was for someone else... why would it be for me?  It wasn't Valentine's Day or my birthday.  We'd only been dating a few weeks (if that), and no one had ever bought chocolates for me before.  I picked the box up and set it gently on the back seat while he walked around the car after letting me in.  In one smooth motion, he slid into the driver's seat, looked over at me, turned the key in the ignition, and smiled his broad handsome smile (the one I recognize now that means "did you see what I did, it means I love you?").  Then he raised his eyebrows and said with concern "where is the box that was on your seat?"  He probably thought that I sat on it!  I said "I put it back there."  He told me to get it because it was for me!  I was in awe!  Chocolates?  For me?! Sheepishly I removed the bow and opened a treasure chest of individually wrapped gourmet Danish chocolates from his hometown.  I savored every single one of them, and that is probably the slowest that I have ever eaten a box of chocolates because I wanted them to last forever.

A little over 3 weeks ago, the most commercialized celebration of love took place...  Valentine's Day!  My hubby surprised me, and took me to a new Thai restaurant for dinner a few days early.  When Monday rolled around, I found myself laid up on the couch with a red stuffy nose (attractive, right?), and all the obvious clues of a sinus infection.  I attempted to make a romantic dinner since my love had done his part, and I wanted to make up for the piles of blankets and Kleenex in the living room.  He smiled that great smile, and said "I have something for you."  He ran out of the room, and came back with a box wrapped in red paper with white hearts and a giant red bow.  A small golden sticker on top revealed my gift before I unwrapped it... "Ingeborg's" it whispered to me from on top of the package.  I smiled back (even though it made my nose run), and said "thank you."  Every time he gives me chocolates from Ingeborg's I am reminded of the first box and how I know now that they will last forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment